Monday, October 24, 2011

I was a bird.

Free, but caged...

Pulling with my talons, I save an old man who escaped from the dinner party but got caught by his borrowed handkerchief in an invisible net of thorns in the trees behind my house. He was almost forced to distill life in a tricky waterfall, almost shot many times while he ran from the tea and crumpets, ran from doilies and nice summer tablecloths and the fizzy neon drinks that accompany Dinner Parties at rest homes. "Once you attend one 'o them doozies," he informs me gravely, "Ya know yer done fer. That's why I'm shovin' off. Gonna take to the forest again, like when I was young..." He shoulders his ragged pack, following his swooping Mentor through the deep ferns, off to learn the ways of an obscure falcon clan. I follow him there in the forest, pursuing though I know I cannot truly break free of my societal bonds, and ask his falcon mentor to guide me as well. I come back changed.

I wander the streets, telling hungry children the secret of humanity, of its many different shapes, their value and significance. "We are like any other species," I whisper sagely as I watch a beetle climb up a tree. "We just want love and a home. That is all we need- not progress- not glory or splendor either. The world around us already progresses in its natural way. It is already beautiful. We need not bustle endlessly to and fro to change it. Life would be so simple... if we just stopped to enjoy things the way they are."

 I create in the middle of the town square a towering chocolate cake, for all to eat and enjoy, because there is no reason why I should not, and every reason why I should.

I realize there is NO reason why I have to have a concrete shape and personality throughout my entire existence, and flee, leaving my body below to disintegrate into tiny pebbles, rolling their way to the seashore, thousands of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment