Saturday, January 7, 2012

Making Friends in the Grocery

I've been waiting for mum for over an hour, and she said she was only getting milk. This situation is far too similar to real life, so I get out of the car and head inside. I meet a little boy, and we comment on the unusual appearance of turkeys in the bread aisle that are apparently on sale. In fact, everything in the store is weirdly well-priced, almost as if they want you to stay there, shopping forever to satisfy your heart's desire...meh.

There is a giant cardboard box at the back of the store marked "Free Things," and we rummage through it and manage to find some pretty good comic books, suspicious-looking candy, and most prized of all, a Guide to Meeting Moon Mermaids, which I have been looking for throughout the galaxy, and am super-excited to try out. The mermaids on Earth's moon are particularly shy, and you have to know the right kind of rites to entice them out of their hermitage. I am hoping they can perhaps show me how to grow some moon plants, like the glowing mushrooms and moss I've dreamt of before...

Then I slip off into another trance. I can see a mermaid, fallen to earth, and a foolish prince riding his horse on the sand assumes she is a regular one. He tries to throw her back into the sea so she will live, but I know the salt water will kill her-- already the thickness of the oxygen chokes her in her unprotected form. She grabs the mane of the horse and absorbs its essence into her being, takes its shape. The prince, now unhorsed, sits on his rump, befuddled. He looks over at the horse, which now appears to glow in a faint, translucent sort of way. He tries to get back on it. The horse whinnies, rears, and gallops down the beach, and the sand-coated prince is left to run after it, while I sit in the background, chuckling to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment